Air Sampling Equipment Program
Providing NFFS members with free access to air sampling equipment
Air sampling of employee exposure to airborne contaminants is a common OSHA required activity in NFFS member foundries. Sometimes members contract with outside vendors to conduct the required sampling. NFFS, however, recommends that foundries learn to do their own air sampling to reduce costs and ensure the accuracy of the resulting data sets.
Foundries commonly conduct air sampling for airborne contaminants such as silica, respirable and total dust, lead and other metals. Specialized equipment is required to meet OSHA sampling methodology, such as calibrated air pumps, sampling trains, and flow meters. This equipment can be expensive to purchase and time consuming to maintain. Many foundries often times look to rent equipment from vendors, though vendors willing to rent equipment can be difficult to locate.
The foundry also needs to identify a properly accredited lab that is capable of conducting the multiple different types of analytical analysis, including x-ray diffraction analysis, to generate the sampling results for the foundry. The number of labs with the correct accreditations that are trusted by NFFS is very low.
In response, NFFS created the Air Sampling Equipment Program. As part of the program, NFFS members receive complimentary access to air sampling equipment and free technical support via phone or email. Members also receive a 15% discount on analytical services performed by Analytics Corporation, as well as the ability to purchase pre-weighed Parallel Particulate Impactor samplers (PPI) at cost during program enrollment. This allows members to begin air sampling immediately upon receipt of the equipment and samplers from NFFS.
How the program works:
1) NFFS members order the sampling equipment and testing materials through the NFFS website using the instructions below.
2) Upon receipt of the order, the NFFS staff will contact the member to schedule the two-week loan period and confirm the anticipated delivery date for the equipment.
3) NFFS will ship the air sampling equipment package to the member. The package includes:
- (5) Qty. BDXII Air Sampling Pumps,
- (1) Qty. Gilian 5 station battery charger,
- (1) Qty. 0-4 LPM Rotometer, non-adjustable flow,
- Any optional pre-weighed sampling media purchased from NFFS during the ordering process,
- Chain of Custody Form and shipping label used to submit samples to the laboratory for analysis,
- Prepaid shipping label to return the air sampling equipment to NFFS.
4) Upon receipt, the foundry will have two weeks to conduct the required air sampling using the provided calibrated sampling pumps and using the proper sampling methodology.
5) After the required air sampling has been completed, the foundry will:
- Return the air sampling equipment in the original packaging to NFFS using the prepaid shipping label;
- Submit their sampling media to our partner Analytics Corporation along with the chain of custody form (instructions provided) using the provided label.
6) The foundry receives the analysis report directly from Analytics Corporation with the resulting raw data.
7) The foundry determines their own employee exposure levels and the need for additional action.
To participate in the program:
- Your foundry must be a NFFS member to participate! Not a member? Click HERE to join!
- Complete the reservation form.
- Upon receipt, a NFFS staff team member will contact you to schedule your delivery date and assist you with ordering pre-weighed PPI samplers, if required.
- You will receive a confirmation email from NFFS with your anticipated delivery date and the date the equipment must be returned to NFFS.
If you have questions or would like additional information, contact Jerrod Weaver at firstname.lastname@example.org.